Thursday, October 25, 2012

Shazaaammm! Brown Rice

So all the health gurus tell me that brown rice is a good healthy carb. Well, I don't know about you, but I find brown rice to be super bland and totally lacking in flavor. Over the last year, I have tried experimenting with it to combine it with various foods, but it usually ends in a pretty lackluster meal. That was, until yesterday!

A wonderfully awesome friend of mine, Vic, recently gave me some homemade salsa. After forgetting to bring it home from work for a awhile, I finally brought it home yesterday. But since tortilla chips is not the best for my current diet, I put myself to brainstorm ways to use it. What I decided on turned out delicious.

Instead of cooking my rice in water, I cooked it in salsa! I put the salsa in a pot, added a little bit of water (to ensure I had the 1 3/4 cups of liquid I needed for the rice to cook) and set it to boil. Once boiling, I added the rice and let cook for 5 minutes (as directed on the box). Then removed it from the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes. And SHAZAAAAMMMM!!!! Delicious brown rice :)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good traci but what are the ingredients in Vic's salsa? I eat alot of Brown Rice - very low sodium - I add salt free diced tomatoes and steamed peppers and onions and srichacha (sp?) In the summer, when we are more active I add fresh roasted corn. Sometimes I also add chicken breast. It totally makes a meal. Can I buy Vic's salsa from her?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I am not sure her ingredients. Her blog is http://painting4him.blogspot.com/. And maybe she would sell you some.

    Please note that this blog has moved and is now at http://scalingitback.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete