Sunday, October 21, 2012

Death By... Chicken Nuggets


This week has been going well. While I still feel fatigued and tired regularly I have refrained from scarfing down the Death By Chocolate staring me down every time I open the freezer. So that, in addition to the fact that I am down 2lbs this week, I am calling it a "win."

I found I stick to healthier foods more when I have food prepared for me and ready to eat in just a few minutes. So I usually try to cooke some food that will last me a few days or that I can freeze and go. A personal favorite and one of the foods I have been eating a lot this week is some homemade chicken veggie nuggets. 

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients
4 large chicken breasts
3 eggs
6 slices of Ezekiel bread (it can be any bread, but health blogs tell me Ezekiel bread is better for me because it is from sprouted grains... so call me health gullible or not, I choose Ezekiel bread)
spices of your choices
celtic salt and pepper to taste
1-2 carrots
1-2 cups of broccoli
1-2 cups of spinach
1/2 onions (optional)
coconut oil

Directions
  • Heat oven to 350*F
  • Put 6 slices of Ezekiel break on a cookie sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes (once toasted golden brown)
  • Let bread cool (I usually let it set overnight, but not necessary)
  • Place cooled off bread pieces in a food processor... this will result in awesome bread crumbs
  • Set aside
  • Combine carrots, broccoli, spinach and onion in food processor. This will give you an awesome mash up of veggies. (You can use whatever veggies you want, but this is what I use. And you really don't even need them. I just add them to get some veggies in my diet without having to just eat raw carrots and spinach)
  • Set aside
  • Cut up 4 large chicken breasts into small cubes
  • Place chicken cubes in food processor
  • Mix chicken and veggie mix together. I have found it works best to knead it together.
  • Beat 3 eggs into bowl (I find it easier to use a shallow wide bowl)
  • Put bread crumbs into bowl and mix with any seasonings/spices you want to use (I use the same kind of bowl as I do for the eggs)
  • Make small 1-2 inch balls (or larger patties if making chicken burgers) with chicken veggie mixture and flatten. Dip both sides into the egg bowl and then once covered with eggs, dip both sides into bread crumbs bowl. 
  • Cook crumbed nuggets in frying pan with melted coconut oil and cook for about 10-15 minutes (depending on the size of the nuggets) making sure the juice is running clear. Bring to a golden color. 


2 comments:

  1. Nice! I am going to have to try these :) Thanks!! So, tell me about Celtic salt?? What makes it good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knows. haha. That is what the health gurus said to use. I actually don't even put salt in it. I just use chicken seasonings.

    ReplyDelete